Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gearing up

 With just 18 days before I leave, I have had quite a few questions about what all I have to carry for the duration of the race. There are several "compulsory" items required by race organizers as well as whatever competitors feel they need for the week. Those are marked by an * in the list.
Here is what I am bringing.  Total weight, before trimming packaging etc is just under 20 lbs.
*Backpack
Osprey Talon 33
            2 x 750-800ml. water bottles
(Attached to the front straps on my pack)
*Sleeping bag
Western Mountaineering - Highlite 
*Flashlight-Headlamp
Xtra batteries for light
I have lithium  - they are lighter and last longer.
*10 saftey pins
1 medium; 1 small… 8 xtra small
 *Compass
With at least 2 degrees of precision!  
*Lighter
*Knife
I use a ultra small “leatherman” b/c is also has scissors
  *Topical disinfectant (alcohol pads)
 *Anti-venom pump
  *Whistle
Very small, lightweight plastic; mine is built into the buckle of the pack's sternum strap
  *Signaling Mirror
*Survival sheet
You know, silver mylar like whats handed out at marathon finish lines
Flare
**provided by race organizers
Salt tablets
**provided by race organizers
 Light Stick for 50 mile stage
**provided by race organizers
EKG - dated within 30 days of event
***must have original copy signed by doctor!!

FOOD
All my food for duration of race
(You must have a minimum of 2000 calories per day)

7 -Breakfasts I have bars, oatmeal, 6- 7 Lunchs: Top Ramen, jerky,    6 - Dinners freeze dried meals… a good variety, mostly rice and chicken compinations   Electolyte drink mix enough for each day… and I have a variety so I don't get sick of one flavor. Suceed Caps (salt pills) for each stage, NUUN (Electrolyte tablets) A variety of Cliff, protein and honey bars/waffle cookies.

Clothing:
One pair of shorts (Brooks Sherpa)
I am also bringing compression shorts as they tend to chafe less (and keep the sand out)
  One race shirt
Brooks Rev T with UPF protection
Moeben UV Arm Sleeves 
Buff
Protects neck, face.
  Sunglasses and/or Goggles
I wear Wiley-X with Light Adjusting lenses that have a foam seal around the eyes to keep out the sand
 Earplugs
 Hat
I use a Brooks breathable running hat… 
One long-sleeve shirt
1-4 pairs of socks
I use Smartwool… PHD Trail Socks
 Windbreaker Brooks LSD cause it balls up into something I can use as a pillow
Tyvec Suit- (Painters overalls-weighs only a few grams/ounces and can keep you a bit warmer at night
 Running shoes WITH Gaiters
Brooks ASR with a custom sewn gaiter
Sunscreen
BodyGlide (well DUH) 
Babywipes
Dehydrated, rehydrate with water
  Lip balm (w. SPF)
Hand sanitizer
Blister care kit- New Skin, needle, disinfectant, Elastikon tape, BlisterShield Powder
Tiny toothbrush
Tiny tube of toothpaste
Deodorant (bet the tent mates will be happy)
Multi-purpose soap
For bathing, cleaning utensils and clothing
Camera (super lightweight and water/sand proof)
Spork
Collapsible bowl
Pencil & notebook (to keep notes on the race)
Sleeping pad -Lightweight foam…

2 comments: