Thursday, April 7, 2011

Altered Expectations

The long stage is over and for anyone who has been following on the race site you no doubt see that it was anything but a running stage for me. Taking just under 22 hours, I elected to run through the night and not sleep at any of the check points. I use running loosely as with the terrain and my blistered feet it was anything but a run except for between CP 4-5 when I actually felt awesome under the 2AM African sky. Short lived however and while I started out from the last check point with 10K to go at dark chasing the laser they shoot up for us,I arrived well after sun up. I managed a run in but like others had an emotional finish of this VERY hard stage. A couple of hours in the medical tent for my feet which are in the words of my Aussie tent mates "knackered"... tomorrow will prove interesting running to say the least but I am determined to finish. ed

13 comments:

  1. Oh Mr. Ed, my heart goes out to you. The pain you must be experiencing and your never ending determination. So many people are pulling for you. Hang in there my friend. You got this. You made it through the long stage. I so admire you for taking on this task. Hang tough and conquer this beast.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Ed you are so going to rock this!
    You are a true inspiration to us all.
    When is the book coming out? :)
    Melissa M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AMAZING... and you ARE living the dream!!! (While it may be painful, tough, etc... you are living it...) Keep STRONG!!!! You are inspiring so many people... Blessings and Prayers!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, Ed. You're almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If overcoming adversity was one of your goals (and I know it was), getting through this stage after what has come before makes it clear that you've already succeeded spectacularly! Way to go, Ed.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for making it through! Keep on truckin'. You can do it. =)
    DYING to see pics of your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following your progress so far and am in awe of your strength and drive. Keep going my friend. Be strong.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

    Linda Mulder Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel us with you Ed! healing vibes to your knackered feet. You've got this man, you've got this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I managed a run in but like others had an emotional finish of this VERY hard stage."

    This STAGE is more -- much more -- than anything I've ever done as a complete race. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a challenge you have taken up! Walt and I and thinking of you and hoping your "knackered" feet hold together! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing the long stage, and what a wonder to see the African sky at 2 a.m. Run Ed Run!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stage 5 complete, 1 to go, 18km. You are there :) so awesome! Great job today!
    syl
    FYI-you made stage 5 photos, or at least your back did, still very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ed I am just in such awe of what you are undertaking and succeeding at...it's not a surprise to me...such an inspiration & a fantastic coach! Go Ed Go! Sending you good thoughts from Chico!

    ReplyDelete